A Patient Advocate proactively guides a patient and their loved ones through the increasingly complex and fragmented health care system. Patient advocates work with physicians, hospital discharge planners, home health care companies, worker’s compensation carriers, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers and insurance carriers to make sure the patient understands their diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Identify doctors and specialists
- Schedule and accompany patients to medical appointments and prepare questions for the appointments
- Take notes during the medical appointment to discuss later
- Explain your diagnosis in plain language
- Research treatment options
- Make sure hospital discharge treatment plans are followed
- Work with insurance companies or Medicare to facilitate payment
- Make sure all the members of the medical team are communicating
- Create and maintain a master medical record including a current medication list
- Assist in a crisis situation 24/7
- Arrange for home modifications (grab bars, ramps, etc.)
- Arrange for in-home care services or sitters in hospitals
- Arrange for alternative living arrangements
- Arrange for travel out of state or country
Contact us today to learn more about our advocacy services.